Sunday, July 29, 2012

1889 Marriage - No man put asunder

Many years ago, I received a wedding certificate – rolled-up. I took it to a frame shop to have it preserved behind glass. Not knowing until years later, I paid for archival-quality materials, but didn't get it. Just a couple years ago, there was a rip on the backing and I could see some "foxing" on the edges of the certificate. I had it reframed with archival paper matting and U-V glass. [Note: make sure you go to a reputable resource. You may pay a little more, but it will be worth it in the long run.]

The wedding certificate is special. It is my grandparent's Laura and Edwin L. Buschick.
Laura Voigt and Edwin L. Buschick
ca. 1889

I have it hanging in my guest room away from a sunny window. I love to look at it because it is unlike any I have seen. Most of all, I love the cascading roses and the rich colors that are still very vibrant even though the certificate is 123 years old. 

Left oval: "It is not good that the man should be alone.
I will make him an help meet for him."
Genesis 2:18
Right oval: "What therefore God hath joined together let not man put asunder." Matthew 19:6


This Certifies
That on the twenty-fifth day of September in the year 1889
Mr. Edwin L. Buschick and Miss Laura Voigt
were united by me in the Bond of Marriage
at Chicago, Ill.
J. E. Bissell, Pastor Lake View Cong. Ch.

Witness { Miss J. M. Buschick
             Mr. Edmon Voigt

Edwin 1865-1927, and Laura 1866-1951, had eight children: Lydia Mae 1890-1979; Annette Matilda 1893-; Florence Laura 1896-1987; Ruth Margaret 1899-1957; Eleanor 1902-1903; Edna Bertha 1904-1988; Edwin Luther Jr. 1907-1985; Alice M. 1908-1959


Bible verses are nice on the certificate, but I have often thought the bride and groom's pictures should have been placed in those ovals. With the wonders of Photoshop, my dream comes true. Nice finish.



1 comment:

  1. Karen, what a treasure you have! Good point about knowing the reputation of the one chosen to do the preservation work.

    ReplyDelete