Monday, May 6, 2013

FINALLY! The Connection – Luther son of Abel Fowler

LOOKS LIKE ABEL IS LUTHER'S FATHER
Abel FOWLER Jr. (3x great grandfather) married Lydia FULLER sometime around 1797 in White Creek, Washington Co., New York. They had six children that I know of: Peter abt 1798; Mary (Polly) 1800; Rodney B. abt 1802; Rensselaer abt 1804; Rhoda abt 1810; Luther abt 1815. 

According to several family history accounts and cousin Kevin, Luther (2x great grandfather) was born probably in South Onondaga, Onondaga Co., New York. His death certificate (from the Department of Health: city of Chicago) states Luther was 83 years 3 months old as of 14 Mar 1898 -- his death date. From this, I can only guess he was born about Dec 1815.


[My first posting on July 8, 2012 post - Proving a connection to LutherSlowly I'm building on the research for this family.

I knew Luther was the son of Abel Jr., but I need proof of some sort. So until I have exhausted my search for a record, I will settle for the document Kevin sent to me. I would think this can serve as proof for now.

CAN I CALL THIS PROOF?
Well, I am to an extent. If anyone can add to this with more proof, I would really appreciate it with source citation(s) included. 

This legal document (two parts) is a signed statement to "honestly & faithfully discharge the duties of administrator of the estate" and the "application for letters of administration on the estate of Abel Fowler deceased"; these two items were signed by Abel Jr.'s son Rodney B. of Marcellus in the county of Onondaga, New York.


Signed on 22 Feb 1848 -- a day before the next document.

Signed 23 Feb 1848 by Rodney B. Fowler of the town of 
Marcellus, New York in the county of Onondaga.
This document above is the application letter recorded in the Oswego County Surrogate's Court. It is the document that has specifics as to heirs and the locations of those heirs.

Rodney B. Fowler is the son who must have been the one named as executor in Abel Jr.'s Will, otherwise why would he be the one applying? Abel's eldest son Rensselaer lives in Michigan which leaves Rodney the next in line. I don't know if Abel died intestate.

At the middle of page where the line starts with "dollars" Abel Jr.'s children are named: Elder son Renslaer [Rensselaer] Fowler a resident of Michigan; Luther Fowler residing in Clarkson Monroe Co., N.Y.; Polly Wood [Mary] wife of Silas Wood & Rhoda Gardner wife of Russell Gardener both residing in Hastings Oswego County N.Y. They were "the only next of kin that the said deceased left. No widow him surviving and that this deponent (?) is of full age." Of the six, only five children were named -- Peter wasn't mentioned which means he must have either died earlier or done something in which Abel wrote him off. I haven't found a death record for him. Rensselaer was described as the "Elder son" so Peter no longer is for whatever reason.

IS THIS ALL I HAVE TO DO?
Taking this as proof, Luther's FOWLER family should be able to connect with other DAR applications which usually stop with Luther as the last child and youngest son of Abel Jr. and Lydia. My direct line isn't continued because the applicant descends from another sibling. I'm not sure I want to join the DAR, I just want to know my ancestors and their lives better. The DAR application for Abel Sr. just gives me a lineage to verify and cite.

I'm still not done, though, I still need more documentation for Luther. I don't like to guess. I've been accumulating various documents like taxes, organizations, land, etc., but not so much with the vital records. I'll be looking for his birth record and marriage records to Lydia CORNELL and second wife Hannah [surname unknown]. 





No comments:

Post a Comment