Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tombstone Tuesday - I Spotted the Name on the Stone, But Not the Damage

Why would anyone want to damage a beautiful tombstone? Is it for fun? Or was it for the value of the metal? What ever the motive, it wasn't a pleasant feeling when I visited the gravesite of great great aunt Sarah A. (Fowler) KROESCHELL at Graceland Cemetery in Chicago, Illinois. I was so pleased with myself when I spotted the Kroeschell family plot. I was excited that it was in one of the best known cemeteries in Chicago if not the country. Many famous Chicagoans are interred hereBob and I weren't expecting to find the plot to be in such condition. This is a very expensive and grand family plot marker.




Looks like the vandals stripped off a wreath and maybe a plaque or possibly an angel. Maybe below the wreath there was an urn. Who could tell. Will we ever know? I hope someone who has a picture of the stone -- before the vandalism -- reads this and shares it with me.





My great great aunt Sarah was born to Luther and Lydia FOWLER, 22 Oct 1845 in Mexico, New York State. Sarah died in Chicago, 12 Dec 1906. The 1870 Federal Census in Allegan, Michigan shows she "Sells Sewing Machines." I think I have one of those machines. It was handed down to me by my aunt Florence with the story "this was my mother's and all the girls learned how to sew on it." The sewing machine is a Singer treadle, and it should still work although it needs a good clean-up and oiling.

She married Charles Kroeschell in 1875, Allegan, Michigan. From there they moved to Chicago where Charles started a business.  






Charles was born 22 May 1848 in Nashville, Tennessee and died 29 Jan 1928 in Chicago. He was a "boilermaker" and was one of the Kroeschell Brothers boilermakers (gold circle below). He was in the same business as great grandfather August Ferdinand BUSCHICK (red circle below). Sarah's sister Susan was married to A.F. Buschick!


Chicago Tribune 1882 "Chicago Business Directory."






1 comment:

  1. I looked it up, and it seems your family members' tombstone was designed that way. There are no reports of vandalism or anything of that nature. It supposedly represents "Life torn in twain by death". If you don't believe me, feel free to research it yourself, but after seeing the marker in a video, I was intrigued and did a little digging.

    ReplyDelete